Hopp til toppmenyen på siden Hopp til hovedinnholdet på siden

Education for students who require alternative and supplementary communication (ASK)

Students with speech impairment are entitled to use adapted forms of communication in their education.


Children, youth and adults who are partially or totally without functional speech will require alternative forms of communication to make themselves understood. ASK is an alternative and supplementary means of communication. It may, for example, involve the use of hand gestures, photos, graphic symbols and physical objects.

The school must therefore have access to the equipment that is necessary in order to offer a student ASK.

Target group

Students in primary through upper secondary school, apprentices and training candidates, adult students in primary and lower secondary school.


The school will conduct what is called an “expert assessment” of the student’s need for ASK.

Brochures, documents, maps, etc.


See in particular

Sections 1-3, 2-16, 3-13 and 4A-13 of the Education Act.


Administrative procedure

The school is obligated to provide adapted education (see Section 1-3 of the Education Act); an individual decision is not always needed in order to offer ASK.

ASK is often part of the provision of special education. If training is required in order to use ASK equipment, an individual decision must be made on special education (see Sections 5-1 or 9a-2 of the Education Act).

If a student in need of ASK has an individual decision on special education, the student must have an individual subject curriculum (IOP). The plan will specify some or all of the education based on the learning objectives set for the subjects in the curricula. Students who do not receive special education will follow the full curriculum for each subject. 

Primary and lower secondary school age students in need of ASK have the same right as anyone else to attend a local school.

Time taken to consider the application

The municipality (for primary and lower secondary students) and the county municipality (for upper secondary students) will process the case as soon as possible. If a decision cannot be reached on the case within one month, you will receive a written message stating the reason as to why. You will also be informed of when the decision is expected to be made.

Possibilities to appeal; procedure

If you are dissatisfied with the decision, you can appeal to the municipality/county municipality within three weeks from the date on which you received it. Explain what you are dissatisfied with and why you believe the decision should be changed. If you need assistance, you can enquire with the municipality/county municipality. If the decision is upheld, the case will be passed on to the county governor (for primary and lower secondary school students) and the county municipal appeals board (for upper secondary school students), which will determine whether the appeal should be sustained.

Tjenesten oppdatert: 11.05.2020 08:19