Hopp til toppmenyen på siden Hopp til hovedinnholdet på siden

School districts

Every student belongs to a school district. As a rule, the student’s district is determined by where they live.


Students in primary and secondary school have the right to attend the school in their district. You can apply to have your child attend a different school. It is up to the municipality to decide whether to grant your request.

The school/municipality will send a letter to parents/guardians with children who are of school age. The letter will provide information about where you should report for school and at what time.

Target group

Parents/guardians with school-age children.


The municipality will decide which school to assign the student to following a specific assessment. The assessment will be based on geographical location, but will also take into account e.g. whether the student’s siblings are placed at the same school, the capacity of the school and whether the commute to school is dangerous. 


See in particular Section 8-1 The school of the Education Act.


Administrative procedure

The municipality will obtain the information necessary for making a decision on the case. We will then come to a decision. You will normally receive an explanation together with the notification of the decision. You will always receive an explanation if there is a possibility that you will be dissatisfied with the decision. If an explanation is not included, you can obtain one by enquiring with the municipality within the deadline for appeals to the decision.

Time taken to consider the application

The municipality will process the case as soon as possible. If a decision cannot be reached on the case within one month, you will receive a written message stating the reason as to why. You will also be informed of when the decision is expected to be made.

Possibilities to appeal; procedure

If you are dissatisfied with the decision, you can appeal to the municipality within three weeks from the date on which you received it. Explain what you are dissatisfied with and why you believe the decision should be changed. If you need guidance, you can enquire with the municipality. If the municipality upholds its decision, the case will be passed on to the county governor, who will determine whether the appeal should be sustained. You can appeal the decision regarding the school to which the student is assigned, as well as the decision regarding a change to another school.

Tjenesten oppdatert: 16.02.2018 16:58