Hopp til toppmenyen på siden Hopp til hovedinnholdet på siden

Free legal aid

Free legal aid is legal assistance that is either partly or fully covered by the state.


If you are in a bad financial situation and need legal assistance, you can apply for free legal aid. The state will cover some or all of the costs of your legal assistance and you will be provided with assistance by way of representation in court.

Types of cases that are given priority include:  

  • Family matters
  • Compensation for personal injury
  • Termination of tenancy/eviction from housing 
  • Termination of employment/dismissal from a job
  • Social security
  • Pension.

Target group

People who do not have the funds to pay for legal counsel or legal proceedings.


In some cases, the county governor can make exceptions to the income limit rule. Regardless of your income and assets, free legal aid can be provided

The lawyer you would like to use normally must be located near where you are living or staying.

  • Your gross income or self-employment income does not exceed NOK 246,000 for single individuals or NOK 369,000 for spouses. The asset limit is NOK 100,000. 
  • You have not taken out legal protection insurance that covers some or all of the costs of your legal assistance, unless special circumstances make it reasonable
    • For child welfare cases for the County Social Welfare Board
    • In cases of violence against women
    • If you are a victim of violence and bring a suit for damages against the perpetrator

Charges/Cost of the service

If you receive legal aid, you will generally have to pay a contribution towards this. This, however, is not required in cases where legal aid is given regardless of income and means, nor if your gross annual income is less than NOK 100,000.

Guidelines – applying for, or receiving the service

To get free legal aid, you must fill out a self-declaration form where you provide information about your financial situation. Send the form to your county governor along with information about what the case concerns. If you decide to contact a lawyer, in many cases they will be able to offer free legal aid or help you forward your application.


Enclose a copy of your most recent tax return or other documentation of your financial situation if it has changed.

Administrative procedure

As a rule, the county governor decides on free legal aid cases. In some cases, however, it can be decided upon by your lawyer or by a court through free legal proceedings.

Possibilities to appeal; procedure

If you are dissatisfied with the decision, you can appeal to the county governor within three weeks from the date on which you received it. Explain what you are dissatisfied with and why you believe the decision should be changed. If the county governor upholds their decision, the case will be passed on to the Ministry of Justice, which will determine whether the appeal should be sustained.

Tjenesten oppdatert: 12.02.2018 18:45